Saturday, July 09, 2005

Why education is important!

When I was growing up, my parents instilled in me the idea that education was very important. I was not allowed to have a job while I was in highschool beyond babysitting or yardwork. Today, I have a cool job.

Unfortunately, at this cool job, I come across some very uninformed people. I just want to yell at them "
See, this is why you should have taken more math and science!" Actually, in many cases, I want to tell them that they really just need to go back to school!

So today, as I am checking my email, I come across a response with a link to a blog. So I check out the blog. And it is just unbelievable. How can anyone be that stupid? Well, I guess the people who read and
believe that blogger. Which is very unfortunate.

In that case, the blogger needs to go back and take some more English classes and learn about comparisons. If a scientist says something is like beach sand, it does not mean that it is beach sand. It means that the substance in question has similarites to beach sand possibly in texture or composition, but that since no new word exists to describe it, that beachsand is what comes to mind. Our language is very limiting at times. Coming up with new words is not easy, so when scientists describe stuff, they often have to use comparisons.

Enough for today. I'm not exactly comfortable yet with this blogging thing. I was just so frustrated.

No comments: