Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Moon and Mercury

Monday night was also clear, but we had open house. Last night (tue), I had a student intern working his last night. Although it was clear, we were both working on computers inside analyzing images (me, the asteroid pics I took Sun night). About 8:50, I remembered something, jumped up, and headed outside. Had to run up the hill of our parking lot and over some to get the right angle. You can see the nice little crescent moon. Look at the larger version and you'll see Mercury as the little "star" down and left of the moon. Once I saw that I could see the Moon and Mercury, I hollered to my intern so he could take a look. Then I went about rushing to get my camera setup because of course it was all setting very quickly and as you can see, I don't have a good horizon in that direction!

Image details...
Camera: Canon 20Da, f/5.6, ISO 800
Date/Time: 5/6/2008 8:58:00 PM
Exposure: 2.5sec
Lens: 17.0 - 85.0mm at 72.0mm

I also wanted to get some zoomed in shots, so I connected the camera to my Orion Shorttube 80. By this time, they had disappeared behind the tree line so I had to go over into the landfill which has higher ground... just enough to get a few more shots...

Tonight (wed), the moon will be above Mercury and getting closer to Mars...

Image details...
Camera: Canon 20Da, f/5, ISO 800
Date/Time: 5/6/2008 9:10:02 PM
Exposure: 1.6sec
Lens: 400.0mm

No comments: